- AP (Advanced Placement)
- Contact Us
- Documents, Forms, Links (Open House Presentations for Parents)
- Graduation 2020
- NCAA Eligibility
- PSAT Testing Information
- Scholarship Opportunities (November)
AP (Advanced Placement)®
What is AP?
The Advanced Placement Program® (AP) enables willing and academically prepared students to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. The program consists of college-level courses developed by the AP Program that high schools can choose to offer, and corresponding exams that are administered once a year.
AP Fast Facts at a Glance
- There are 38 AP courses in seven subject categories.
- Maryville High School regularly offers 20+ AP courses in all seven subject areas each academic year.
- Each AP course is modeled on a comparable introductory college course in the subject. Click here to learn how AP courses are developed.
- Each course culminates in a standardized college-level assessment, or AP Exam.
- AP Exams are given in May each year at testing locations all over the world.
- Schools must be authorized by the AP Course Audit to offer approved AP courses and use the AP designation.
- 2020 MHS AP Exam Calendar
- 2020 MHS AP Exam Registration Instructions
- AP Credit Policy Search
- AP Students
- TN Colleges' AP Credit Policies
AP Exam Changes:
- New ONLINE resources AND ordering system
- AP Exams: May 4 - 15
- Cost of Exams: $94 or $142 for Capstone
- Fall Students: Exam decision by October 4
- $40 nonrefundable deposit due by November 1
- Spring Students: Exam decision by February 7
- $40 nonrefundable deposit due by February 28
AP Exam Registration & Payment Information:
- Students must login to their CollegeBoard accounts to register for the exams
- Once the exam decision deadline has passed, an invoice will be generated and sent to parents/students via mail, email, or delivered to the student. The invoice will indicate the total payment that is due
- Parents/students can bring the invoice along with a check made out to Maryville High School to the guidance. We are working on the ability to make payments through My School Bucks as well. Further information about this will be provided with the invoices.
Seniors & Parents,
Hopefully you are wrapping up those admissions applications and essays and ready to move on to the scholarship search! Below are the latest additions & updates to the scholarship list in Naviance. We hope you'll keep up the momentum and take some time to explore many of these opportunities!
Great Local Scholarships
Easttennesseefoundation.org is one of THE BEST sources for local scholarships, including but not limited to the below list. All scholarships on this website have a deadline of FEBRUARY 15, 2020!
- B&W Y12 Scholarship
- Gordon W & Agnes P Cobb Scholarship
- Abbie Jane Harper Memorial Scholarship
- Reuben Louise Cates & Junior Service League Scholarship
- **New** Haley Van Pelt Scholarship
Maryville City Schools Foundation
The following updated scholarships are ONLY FOR Maryville High School students. We STRONGLY encourage you to apply for these!
- William Bennett Scott Scholarship -- any college -- Jan. 27, 2020
- Skeeter Shields Scholarship -- any college -- Jan. 27, 2020
- Coming soon...Fort Craig Scholarship...keep checking for this one to be updated soon!
Other Additions & Updates to Naviance List
- Martin Luther King Celebration Scholarship (DENSO) -- any college -- Nov. 26
- Comcast Leaders & Achievers Scholarship -- any college -- Dec. 6
- TN Connect Credit Union -- any college -- Dec. 27
- Cirkled in "No Sweat" Scholarship -- any college -- Dec. 31
- GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program -- any college -- Jan. 3, 2020
- AMVETS TN Scholarship -- any college -- Jan. 8, 2020
- Philanthropic Educational Organization (females only) -- any college -- Jan. 8, 2020
- J. Ollie Edmonds Scholarship -- Stetson University -- Jan. 15, 2020
- John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay Contest -- any college -- Jan. 17, 2020
- TN Concrete Association -- any college -- Jan. 17, 2020
- TheDream.US -- any college -- Jan. 30, 2020
- Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship -- any college -- Feb. 1, 2020
- Dorothy Dean Shelton Mathematics Scholarship -- UT Chattanooga -- Feb. 15, 2020
- Marjorie Watson Mathematics Scholarship -- UT Chattanooga -- Feb. 15, 2020
- C. B. Brown Scholarship Program -- TN School of Beauty -- Feb. 28, 2020
- Arther K. & Sylvia S. Lee Scholarship -- community colleges -- June 30, 2020
Good Scholarship Websites to Explore (all links are in the Naviance Scholarship List)
- BigFuture Scholarship Search (sponsored by CollegeBoard)
- Student Scholarships
Scholarship Workshop - Charles M. Hall
Charles M. Hall Alumni Association has been in existence for the past 28 years providing opportunities for local high school students to apply for college scholarships. The applications will be distributed to local high schools in January, 2020. There will be a workshop for Juniors and seniors interested in applying for the Charles M. Hall Alumni scholarship on Saturday, January 4, 2020 at Martin Luther King Community Center, 209 E. Franklin St. Alcoa from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM. The purpose of the workshop is to stress the importance of completing the scholarship application in its entirety and completion of voter registration forms, driver license forms, credit card and job application forms. Money Management 101 will be taught at this workshop. A light lunch will be served. This workshop is open to parents and guardians.
If you are interested in participating in this workshop, please let guidance know ASAP. We must RSVP with a number for the lunch order by Monday, November 25.
We hope this helps you in your search to make your dream school affordable. Be sure to check the last scholarship email as well as there are several scholarships highlighted in that email whose due dates are quickly approaching.
As always, please let us know how we can help!
Duke University offers various summer time enrichment options for high achieving high school students. The programs include:
- Summer College (four-week academic credit program for students currently in grades 10 – 12)
- Summer Academy (three-week academic enrichment program for students currently in grades 9 – 12)
- Accelerated STEM Academy (one-week academic enrichment program for students currently in grades 9 – 12)
Ideal participants for these programs include students who are:
- seeking to gain academic credit from renowned Duke faculty or interested in engaging deeply with a particular subject.
- hoping to spend the summer enjoying residential activities on Duke’s historic West Campus.
- seeking to prepare for college and to create an international network of peers