- AP (Advanced Placement)
- Contact Us
- Documents, Forms, Links (Open House Presentations for Parents)
- Graduation 2020
- NCAA Eligibility
- PSAT Testing Information
- Scholarship Newsletter
AP (Advanced Placement)®
What is AP?
The Advanced Placement Program® (AP) enables willing and academically prepared students to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. The program consists of college-level courses developed by the AP Program that high schools can choose to offer, and corresponding exams that are administered once a year.
AP Fast Facts at a Glance
- There are 38 AP courses in seven subject categories.
- Maryville High School regularly offers 20+ AP courses in all seven subject areas each academic year.
- Each AP course is modeled on a comparable introductory college course in the subject. Click here to learn how AP courses are developed.
- Each course culminates in a standardized college-level assessment, or AP Exam.
- AP Exams are given in May each year at testing locations all over the world.
- Schools must be authorized by the AP Course Audit to offer approved AP courses and use the AP designation.
- 2020 MHS AP Exam Calendar
- 2020 MHS AP Exam Registration Instructions
- AP Credit Policy Search
- AP Students
- TN Colleges' AP Credit Policies
AP Exam Changes:
- New ONLINE resources AND ordering system
- AP Exams: May 4 - 15
- Cost of Exams: $94 or $142 for Capstone
- Fall Students: Exam decision by October 4
- $40 nonrefundable deposit due by November 1
- Spring Students: Exam decision by February 7
- $40 nonrefundable deposit due by February 28
AP Exam Registration & Payment Information:
- Students must login to their CollegeBoard accounts to register for the exams
- Once the exam decision deadline has passed, an invoice will be generated and sent to parents/students via mail, email, or delivered to the student. The invoice will indicate the total payment that is due
- Parents/students can bring the invoice along with a check made out to Maryville High School to the guidance. We are working on the ability to make payments through My School Bucks as well. Further information about this will be provided with the invoices.
Seniors and Senior Parents,
The MHS Guidance Department will be sending a monthly "scholarship newsletter" email as we update the extensive scholarship list in Naviance. While there are some scholarship applications with approaching deadlines in September & October, there are many others with deadlines in November, December, and the first few months of 2020. As you explore the applications & websites, below are some things to keep in mind:
- Check the list frequently. We are constantly updating as we receive materials throughout the year.
- When you see deadlines in Naviance that are earlier than the deadlines on the websites, please remember that these must be met in order to allow the MHS counselors time to prepare your documents & gather all necessary materials to meet the scholarship deadlines.
- Be sure to read the requirements for each scholarship application as many of the more competitive awards require counselor nominations.
- Please be sure to communicate frequently with your MHS Guidance Counselors when you are working on these applications & nomination forms so that she has ample amounts of time to prepare documents for you and others.
- Everything listed below can be found in the scholarship list in Naviance.
Specific Scholarships to focus on in September and this Fall: (be sure to check websites for more details & deadlines as some scholarships require admissions applications be completed earlier)
- Gates Scholarship - any college - Sept. 15
- Park Scholarships - NC State - Sept. 20
- Bryan Scholarship - Davidson College - Sept. 23
- Bridging the Dream - any college - Sept.. 23
- Levine Scholars Program - UNC Charlotte - Sept. 27
- Belk Scholarship - Davidson College - Oct. 21
- Dayton Leadership in Service Scholarship - Univ. of Dayton - Oct. 29
- VFW Voice of Democracy Scholarship - any college - Oct. 31
- Ron Brown Scholar Program - any college - Nov. 1 (African-American students)
- Prudential Spirit of the Community - any college - Nov. 5
- Jefferson Scholarsip Program - Univ. of Virginia - Nov. 15
- McDermott Scholars Program - Univ. of Texas at Dallas - Dec. 6
- AXA Achievement Scholarship - any college - Dec. 15
- Blount Scholars Program - Univ. of Alabama - Dec. 15
- Danforth Scholarship - Washington Univ. St. Louis - Dec. 15
- John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay Contest - any college - Jan. 17, 2020
Other Useful Scholarship Search Engines
Looking for more? See the attachment provided by TN Tech University!
We hope this is helpful and please let us know if you have any questions! We are here to help!
MHS Counselors, Jenn Abernathy, Rachel Scarbro, Kim Porter, Kori Holland, and Jackie Stryker
Scholarships 3rd Party.pdf